Monday, November 24, 2008

At the Train Tracks



















There is no other place that I can actually feel the metamorphosis that has occurred since I have become a mom.  I used to moan and throw my hands up with impatience when the crossings would deploy seconds before I made it through.  Now, I consider the "Gods in our Favor" if they come down before we cross, giving us the best seats in the house to watch the train go past.  "Here comes the train," I yell back to the boys, as I roll down every window no matter the season, so that we can hear the dinging and listen for the train whistle.  Having this last minute position also provides the back view of the train.  As the crossings lift and we ride over the tracks the boys look after the train and see it rolling away.  When I manage to be out in the car alone, I find myself excited to get stuck by the train and even begin to roll down the windows for that brief second before I remember that I am alone.  It is in that moment of reality that I can almost touch the wave of emotions that will roll over me when the boys are grown and I will forever sit at the train tracks alone.  It is this moment that it occurs to me I may never be able to let them go!

1 comment:

Patti said...

omg, Lynn, I do the very same thing. Maybe two days ago I mentioned to Mike how I get excited when I see a police car or fire truck with their lights on, even if the boys aren't with me. Oh, and city/school busses. Trains are frequent in Salem and I used to be so frustrated to stop for them. Now I, like you, find myself rolling down the windows and getting excited with the boys as the train passes by. Fun stuff!