Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"I have one day left..."




Tristan says, "I have one day left."  I ask,  "One day left till your birthday?"  "No," he says, "this is my last day of being three."  I guess it is the same thing, but puts an entirely different spin on it.
There was a lot of confusion for TJ this year regarding his birthday.  We celebrated with friends and family in October because we combined his party with Patrick's.  So, November 13th was his "real birthday."  He told his teacher and everyone he could, "Today is my real birthday."  Which implies he has fake birthdays.  He believed he would be different on this day because he would now be 4.  On this last day of being three he spoke of all the things he would now do once the day turned and he was 4.  He would begin swimming underwater, he would do karate like Patrick, he would also not be scared of a list of several things.  After telling me how life would be so much different for him as a 4 year old, he paused and had his faraway, thinking look on and said, "I really like being 3.  3 is fun!"  I had to reassure him that 4 would be fun too and not to worry.  When he woke up on his first day of being 4 he said, "I still need swimmies in the pool and I don't want to put my head all the way under the water.  I still don't like the dark and I like my night light.  I'm not going to start karate until next year.  I guess 4 will be a lot like 3."

1 comment:

Patti said...

I have to know this kid when he grows up! I cannot imagine what he will be. He seems brilliant. Poetic. One-of-a-kind. And adorable to boot!